Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Where's Rocky?

A few years ago my wife and I took a two week trip to Glacier and Banff. It was a spectacular vacation and we saw an assortment of landscapes, weather, and creatures. We decided to take a short hike near a lake in Glacier where we saw a moose on the other side of the water. He started to move across the lake. Well, I hadn't brought my camera and the car wasn't far, so I rushed back to grab my gear. When I returned, I couldn't find my wife or the moose anywhere. After a short time, my wife appeared and proceeded to tell me that not only did the moose not stop, but he sped up towards her. She decided to head into the forest and wait for me. I'm not sure what would have happened if she had stayed, but I am sure that she did the right thing.

Over time, I have found that one of the hardest large animals to photograph is the moose. All in all, I have seen maybe 5 or 6 in the wild, and they are usually shy and hide within minutes of me spotting them. They are a powerful, magnificent creature that can charge at a moment's notice (obviously), so I tend to keep a pretty good distance when I do see them. This particular photograph was taken on my trip to Canada a couple of years ago. Hiding in the trees and just a bit off the road, this moose was eating the low foliage around her. She managed to stay for a few shots.

Technical Details:
Canon 20d, 300 f/4l + 1.4 tc, f/5.6, 1/200 sec.
Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada

0 comments: