Monday, October 13, 2008

Born Free

As many people know, I do not do a lot of bird photography. I find that there are quite a few good photographers who specialize in this and who have equipment that enables them to get in close for a shot. My equipment for the most part usually puts me too far away, especially from the easily scared birds such as herons. Recently, I have been visiting DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge since they have had quite a few birds fairly close. While driving around we came across a lone pelican. When I got out of my car to take a shot of him floating down the lake, he took flight. At first he started flying away from me and I thought that he was going to be no where near me, but then banked and came right in front of me. I was able to snap about 3 shots off as he continued into the distance.

Technical Details:
Canon 5d, 300 f/4l + 1.4 tc, f/5.6, 1/1600 sec.
DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge

0 comments: