Thursday, February 21, 2008

2008 Lunar Eclipse


Last night there was a specatcular lunar eclipse that was visible from several continents including North America. Normally, I do not do any astronomy type photography, but the night was clear enough that I decided to give it a go. I don't have very long lenses or a camera-compatible telescope, so I used my 300 f/4,coupled it with my 1.4 tc, and used my Canon 20d. This is a pretty standard setup for me for wildlife and it allowed me to go a little closer to our closest celestial neighbor. This is a pretty liberal crop as well and left me with a little more than a 2 megapixel image from an 8 megapixel sensor. Additionally, I had to bump the ISO level to 1600 which is higher than I usually allow for my photography in order to keep the moon from blurring too much. Remember, the moon and the earth both move and this is evident when the shutter is open any length of time in night photography. Even about a half a second is too long! This photograph was taken right before the moon began to enter totality at 8:58 PM CST.

Technical Details:

Canon 20d, 300f/4l + 1.4 tc, f/5.6, .6 sec.
Near Schramm State Recreation Area, Nebraska

To view other photographs, order this photograph as a print, or purchase licensing rights, please visit my website at http://www.journeyoflight.com/.

2 comments:

whogivesaFwhatIdo said...

I missed it last night. It was raining here in Arizona. This is a great photograph!

Anonymous said...

You know I never thought about trying to take a picture. Glad I was able to see it